Saturday, February 23, 2013

Easy DIY tassel

Happy weekend, all. We are counting down the days in February! I have an intense dislike of January and February, so the darkest (literally) part of the year is just about done. : ) Once we get to March 1 and I see the daffs poking up out of the ground, we have turned a corner.

I'm looking forward to starting a little container gardening project this weekend....it will be completely experimental, but if it's successful, I will be so excited!

Today, I want to share an easy tassel that I made. I love adding a tassel with my purse. I made this one out of a buff-colored leather.


I started with a key fob. This one cost about $2 at the hardware store. I used a small scrap of leather and glued it together to attach the tassel piece to the key fob.



I used my hot glue gun. There are other types of craft glue you can use, but I didn't have anything else on hand!

Next, I cut a piece of leather into a rectangle. I had bought a bag of leather scraps at the craft store for about $8 a few months ago....it will last be a while! I used my rotary cutter to trim the edges and make the skinny cuts to create the tassel. I cut them about 1/4" widths.




As you can see, my piece is only about 3" wide. I laid my scrap onto one of the ends after putting a line of hot glue along the edge.



Then, I started rolling the tassel from the scrap piece end until it is all rolled up.



I made sure to put a little extra glue at the edge and wipe off the excess glue. If you wanted a little more bling to it, you could add an upholstery tack....or a little piece of colored leather for a bit more flair.

I love to add it to my purses.....on my black purse.



And on my current blue metallic blue one.....



Could be useful for some accessories, too! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, you lovelies.


Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Share Day at Just a Girl
Simply Creations Link Party at Simple Home Life
Addicts (not so) Anonymous Addicted to Decorating
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
Project Parade at The DIY Showoff
Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Tip-Toe Thru Tuesday at Crayon Freckles
Pinspirational Thursday at The Artsy Girl Connection
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Tuesday Talent Show at Chef n Training
Flaunt Your Flowers  at Tootsie Time
What I Wore/What's Up Wednesday at Rae Gun Ramblings
Sunday Roundup at A Rosie Sweet Home
Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing

No comments: