Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sunflowers galore

Most gardening seasons have their challenges and this one is no different. In my neck of the woods, we are dealing with a drought-ish summer following a mild winter. The drought conditions are not as bad here as they are a few states west, but it's still not great.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a whole lot of luck starting seeds this year. They just haven't wanted to sprout out and thrive like they normally do. I usually have a whole batch of zinnias keeping me in fresh flowers each summer. No can do this year. Their wimpy sprouts are not yielding any flowers.

I do, however, have an abundance of sunflowers.....


All of these seeded themselves from a few plants I started from seed two years ago. So...I have plenty of sunflowers for beautiful sunflower bouquets.



Who doesn't love sunflowers? I know the birds in my neighborhood sure do.

2 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

How pretty! The only thing that actually survived the hot summer here were the sunflowers that grew up from around the base of my birdfeeders. They're not as pretty as yours, but it makes me think I should plant some next year for sure!

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

I'm most sad about the lack of tomatoes. Someone out there please send us tomatoes.