Monday, July 16, 2012

My new gardening friend

I have a new little gardening tool. It's called EasyBloom. I was gifted this by my brother for Christmas one year.....it was a very thoughtful gift, I must say.


The EasyBloom has the ability to monitor the light that an area receives, monitor the amount of moisture the soil near a plant receives and give recommendations on what plants would be suitable.


It was fairly easy to assemble. It's pretty cool....it has a watertight area for batteries and a few buttons to control it.


Once you register your device, it takes you to a program where you can learn more about your results and findings.


I decided to try it out in an area of my garden that I was not sure would qualify as part sun or shade (it's the northeast corner of our house). I was curious to see what it would tell me about the sunlight and what plants it would recommend...


To monitor, you have to leave it out for at least 24 hours. The first time I tried it, I forgot to push the button to start it. Duh.


So, after the second time, I brought it back inside and plugged it in with the USB cord. It was pretty cool! It gives you graphs for different elements....















You can also click on plant recommendations. I take these with a grain of salt, since they are not region-specific....but it's interesting to see what they recommend.


My take? It's pretty neat for checking out what's really going on in your garden. It also works for houseplants, which could be really helpful when trying to figure the light requirements for houseplants. That can be challenging, trying to measure light coming through windows in different places in your home.


I think I'm going to enjoy playing a bit with my new gardening buddy.

2 comments:

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

You should have used it to see how much sun your skin was getting when you were sitting on a beach in North Carolina.

Catherine Fishback said...

That looks pretty rad. I hope to have a garden someday..

Cute blog!

Catherine (your newest follower)
FEST (food, style & travel)