Tuesday, June 12, 2012

To flower or not to flower...that is the question.

It's that time of year when my hostas cower from me when they see me approach with my pruning shears.


Yes, they are flowering away.....doing their best to pollinate. And I thwart them at every turn. You might ask why a gardener would do such a thing? The whole point of gardening is....flowers, right?


I must say, I am not a fan of hosta flowers. Well, mostly. I think they detract from the plant and the height of them is bothersome to me. Why? Well, the plant is low-growing, so when it puts flowers on that tower above the plant, it throws off the scale of the plants around it. Usually, they're not that pretty of a flower anyway, so why have them?


These are the only hostas I have whose blooms I can slightly tolerate. I like the all white flowers against the soft green of this particular hosta.


I think the all-white is pretty and it doesn't get too tall.


So, lately, I have been filling some of my jars with hosta stalks.....



How do you feel about hosta blooms? Like them, hate them....indifferent? ; )


Copy_of_001

4 comments:

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

Sometimes, you are a mystery to me.

I have to ask: why buy hostas if you don't like the overall plant? Maybe it's time to move on to something else, like daffodils. Or gayfeather. Or you could get me a tee time at Augusta and I could do some "research" for potential new plants.

Maybe it's time to say, "hosta la vista."

Ha ha. I kill me.

Andrea said...

Hi my first time here. I haven't seen a hosta flower in person, even the leaves because they are temperate plants. They are so beautiful. But our Proiphys amboinensis leaves looks like one of the hostas, in fact when i still am looking for its ID i thought it is a hosta! It is good i have it posted now too.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I let mine flower but do know other gardeners that cut them off for the same reason you do. They sure can make a mess when the blooms are spent and drop their petals all over the leaves.

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

I also let mine flower, but I think the cut flowers look pretty in your containers!