Sunday, May 13, 2012

Petal Preview

I hope you all had a very nice Mother's Day! I had some beautiful cards and handmade gifts from my children. We went to the butterfly show at the conservatory downtown this morning and then my husband took our kids to visit his parents and his sister's family. It was a lovely morning--despite rain almost all day--and it has been a lovely afternoon, just lounging and relaxing. I enjoyed a little champagne and wine on my own. Happy Mother's Day, indeed.


We had quite a day of yardwork yesterday....we edged and mulched all day. It's quite satisfying to have all of that done. The gardens are looking well. I got some of my annuals in as well. Speaking of annuals.....


We went to the spring gardening fair a few weeks ago at a local garden center. The Cincinnati Horticultural Society has long put on a Flower Show each spring. Unfortunately, they have been unable to do so in the last few years, due to the economy and their big sponsors unable to support the show financially.


So, instead, they do a gardening fair at a garden center. I enjoyed it last year, but was a little disappointed that they did not have any kids' activities this year. : ( My kids so enjoy gardening and hands-on activities.


I was pleased that I was able to check out some annuals a few weeks before it's safe to plant them here.


I really liked these petunias. I actually bought these for my front porch pots.





I was loving the hot coral color of this variety.





I think this petunia is so striking. I almost bought this one for my front porch pots.




I've planted this one before. I love the touch-of-pink white color with the pinky lines. So pretty.





I'm not a huge fan of verbenas, but I really liked these!





I also don't often buy geraniums....the plain color varieties always seem a bit dated to me. But....I love the colors in this one. Geraniums like these? Yes, please.




Maybe I should plant some geraniums....they are tough and they flower a bunch. Did you know.....they are the official flower of the City of Cincinnati? Betcha didn't.




What's your favorite annual to plant in your garden? I'll show off some of my seasonal additions here soon.


Copy_of_001

4 comments:

Andie Jaye said...

those bicolor geraniums are gorgeous! planted flowers for the first time this year! some pre-grown and some seeds. we'll see how we do!

Self Sagacity said...

Petunias are the most resilient flowers.

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

Not a fan of geraniums, and not pleased that those are Cincy's flower. Boooo!

Lovin' the verdanas (sp?) though!

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

Verbenas. Not verdanas.