Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Good read: Hunger Games Trilogy

I have to admit...I was slightly skeptical of these books when they first came out.


I work at a 5/6 grade building, so the kids definitely get in these crazes for popular books. For instance, the Twilight series. Now, I am most certainly a fan of anything that gets kids reading (like Harry Potter).....but I think the Twilight series--the movies and books--is a little vapid. To be honest, I've never read any of them....I guess I should read before I judge, right? 

Anyway...so, when the Hunger Games movie was coming out and the students were super excited about it, I decided to see what the fuss was all about. I asked the librarian if I could borrow a copy. 

I could not put it down. All three of them, I could not put down.


It is very thought provoking for adults and for kids. I had a lot of discussion about the book with the librarian. She said that both she and the principal read the whole series before releasing it to the kids to check out. I found it interesting that she said the kids don't really have a big reaction to the violence in the book. One of my friends said that her mom started it, but couldn't finish it because she found it disturbing to read about kids trying to kill each other. I could see how she could think that....but I think the books definitely say some things about our society.


I would highly recommend it.


So....I guess I should give some of those other popular series a chance? : )

1 comment:

The Bold Abode said...

Me, either...couldn't put them down!!! Even my hubs read them and like them...that's saying something!!!