Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dress presto change-o

My mom gave me a dress last year....one that she had never worn much.






I fell in love with it. The colors are MY colors.....my favorite color is turquoise. : )


The only problem with it? It was a few sizes too big and it just swam on me. The top of the dress was obscene, if you know what I mean. It would have required a camisole, no question.


So, I tried to alter it to the best of my ability. Which is not much. If you will recall, I am still new at sewing. I was unsuccessful at making it fit better. I tried giving it to my friend and it was not her style. And she returned it to me.


After the dress hung on my dress form for several months, I had a revelation.....make it into a skirt!


I pinned the sides and ran a seam to reduce the fullness of the skirt.




Here she be....




Not too shabby. Well, except for the waistband.  : ) Since it was gathered with elastic in the back, I just cut off the bodice part and didn't do anything to it. I could add elastic at the top for a more finished look. Maybe I still will....but for now, since I rarely wear anything tucked in, this does the job just fine.


On me....I'll share a pic soon of what it looks like styled.






I just love those colors!!




Party Time......
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Share Day at Just a Girl
Simply Creations Link Party at Simple Home Life
Addicts (not so) Anonymous Addicted to Decorating
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
Project Parade at The DIY Showoff
Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Tip-Toe Thru Tuesday at Crayon Freckles
Pinspirational Thursday at The Artsy Girl Connection
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Sunday Salvation at Sassafras Salvation
Tuesday Talent Show at Chef n Training
Flaunt Your Flowers  at Tootsie Time
What I Wore/What's Up Wednesday at Rae Gun Ramblings
Sunday Roundup at A Rosie Sweet Home
Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing

3 comments:

Andie Jaye said...

that's dah-ling! i love love love those colors too! can't wait to see the whole outfit once you've finished it!

Etcetorize said...

Very cute! Awesome recycle. If you're looking for another place to share your project, head on over to Etcetorize and join the party (http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2012/04/make-it-great-monday_29.html). Hope to see you there.

Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

I love redoing clothes to make them work for me (and my kiddos). Your "new" skirt is beautiful.

I'd love for you to link up to our Finished Friday party.