Saturday, April 28, 2012

61 and fabulous

My dad turned 61 today. Happy birthday, Dad!




I have learned many, many things from both of my parents and I know I am very fortunate and blessed to still have  both of my parents on earth.

So, while this post could not be long enough to list all of the things I have learned from my dad--or my mom, too--I will share just a few tidbits.

I think we could all write a book about words of wisdom from Dad. My dad knows a lot about a lot of things. So, if you have a question about something, he's a good person to ask. He will tell you what he knows....and what he thinks. : )  My dad works hard and I know few people who put as much into their work as my dad does. So, I feel bad that sometimes I call him just when I have a question about something. I should call him more often just to ask how he's doing and to say "I love you."

But I digress.....one of my favorite bits of wisdom from Dad would be, "It doesn't matter if you have a junky car....you can still keep it clean." I keep my car clutter-free and do the best I can to keep it washed.....which sometimes falls to the bottom of the list when you're chasing kids around.

My dad has taught me a lot of what I know about using tools and how to fix things up. I remember when I had my first condo after moving out of my parents' house after college. Just a single girl trying to fix up her place. I'm pretty good with changing out light fixtures since learning how to wire lights for high school theater shows. So, I bought a ceiling fan. I got my ladder out and started installing. I got stuck when I was trying to mount the base to the electrical box and joists. For some reason, I could not get any screws in to hold it in. My dad came over and helped me. Since then, I've installed 4 or 5 other fans in our subsequent houses. A few months ago, he brought over his mitre saw for me to borrow so I could do some projects. I can't wait to get started with it.

Thanks, Dad. I hope you have a great birthday and I love you.


1 comment:

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

I very much appreciate your dad, if only because I would have had to have tried to install 4 or 5 ceiling fans on my own. I'm quite sure one of those attempts would have resulted in my demise.