Sunday, March 18, 2012

Receiving blankets

I hope you are enjoying the weekend! Our weather has been really nice. I got out into the garden yesterday to contend with some weeds that are already raging. Sigh.


We have a new baby on the way in my family...my brother and sister-in-law are expecting #2 sometime in the next few weeks! It's a complete surprise (no gender and no name), so we all can't wait to meet the new baby.


We had a spa outing and luncheon with the girls in my family to celebrate. I made some blankets for the new baby for a gift. I searched for a tutorial and found this one here. This is probably one of the more major sewing projects I have tried to do from scratch. : ) I'm still new-ish at sewing.


I bought my flannel at Jo-Ann Fabrics....they had a fairly good selection of cute but not too baby-ish prints. I bet you could find some great prints online. I bought enough for one really big blanket and one smaller blanket.


Here goes.


I cut the fabric to size. I am so a huge fan of BIG receiving blankets after I got a really big one from my sis for my 2nd. The little ones do nothing to hold in a wee baby.




I pinned the ricrac around the edge, about 1/4" from the edge. If you got really good at this, you could probably hold it while you sewed it.




Sewed on ricrac, with the seam along the bottom curve edge of the ricrac.




Put the other side on, right sides together. I love the rounded corners....I used a bowl to trace it and cut. I pinned it together to try to line them up.




You then sew the sides together, leaving a hole to turn right side out.






 Then....topstitch around the edge. Makes it look nice.




The finished product with both sides. I really like the green mod print.




You can see that the ricrac sort of "peeks" out of the edges (except please excuse the right  side where you can see more of the ricrac).




I also did a bigger one with pastel green prints and BIG ricrac. I am a huge fan of the big ricrac. It is a bit more expensive, but I found it easier to work and I love the big curves. I bought the small ricrac in brown because they didn't have the big ricrac in brown....I did the light green one first, which is why I took pics of the 2nd. : )




Edging and fabric up close.




They turned out great! The tutorial is much more detailed than my comments/pictures, so check it out if you're interested.

Can't wait to meet Baby B #2!





Party Time......
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Share Day at Just a Girl
Simply Creations Link Party at Simple Home Life
Addicts (not so) Anonymous Addicted to Decorating
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
Project Parade at The DIY Showoff
Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Tip-Toe Thru Tuesday at Crayon Freckles
Pinspirational Thursday at The Artsy Girl Connection
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Sunday Salvation at Sassafras Salvation
Tuesday Talent Show at Chef n Training
Flaunt Your Flowers  at Tootsie Time
What I Wore/What's Up Wednesday at Rae Gun Ramblings
Sunday Roundup at A Rosie Sweet Home

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the colors that you chose. I wish I knew my way around a sewing machine. I'd love for you to share this at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-3.html. We go live Tuesday night at 8 EST. I'm following GFC.

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

These instructions were like reading Greek to me. Or like reading any instructions dealing with working on a car.