Monday, March 26, 2012

Jersey scarf

I hope you all have had a good Monday. Somehow those two words just don't go together, huh? I am sitting a bit on pins and needles here....we have a freeze warning tonight and I'm a little nervous about how all of the plants in my garden will be affected. I'm considering waking up a bit earlier tomorrow to spray down the plants if necessary to help them through this cold snap.

It's a bit unreal to me that we are doing this in March....usually, freezing temps in March are par for the course. This warm stretch of weather has done nothing for keeping the plants going through early spring after spurring so much growth. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

I tried something new with fabric recently.....I was inspired by this pic that I had saved on Pinterest. Click here for the link.


I also thought about making a scarf.....so I googled it and found a few tutorials. After checking out what they did, I decided to put together my own version. If you'd like to check out their tutorials, that might help you, should you try this yourself. I left out pics of steps in my photos. Click here for a link to the tutorial. There are some other tutorials linked there as well.

I bought a length of jersey about 60" long. I cut two pieces that were 7" wide first (so they were 7x60"). Cut a little piece off the end to use to cover seams later.


I put the wrong sides together and ran a seam down the side. I did two and then I turned them right sides out.


Here I am sewing the seams for the above pic.



The next part, I cut a few wide and skinny pieces, which I then cut into three pieces up close to the end, leaving about 1-2" to keep the ends together.



Then, braid all of the pieces to the ends, hold them together and run a seam through the loose ends to secure them.


Once you have done all of the pieces, you will match up the ends and run a seam through them all. Use your little piece to hand sew on a cover for the spot where the seams will connect in the back of the scarf. Sorry no pics of that!! : )




Here is the finished product....



Mine is long enough that it can be worn long or doubled up.


On me. Please excuse my pjs. ; )




I gifted this one to my friend.....I'm looking to make one in a blue or pink color next for myself!

Party Time......
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Share Day at Just a Girl
Simply Creations Link Party at Simple Home Life
Addicts (not so) Anonymous Addicted to Decorating
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
Project Parade at The DIY Showoff
Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Tip-Toe Thru Tuesday at Crayon Freckles
Pinspirational Thursday at The Artsy Girl Connection
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Sunday Salvation at Sassafras Salvation
Tuesday Talent Show at Chef n Training
Flaunt Your Flowers  at Tootsie Time
What I Wore/What's Up Wednesday at Rae Gun Ramblings
Sunday Roundup at A Rosie Sweet Home
Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing

5 comments:

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

Pretty!

I like the bracelet idea, too!

Lori said...

I love it. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I'm so glad I found your blog via Addicts Anonymous. I am now a new follower so we can stay connected. I would love if you would stop by and follow too. Lori

Maria said...

I've been seeing different versions of this scarf and have been wanting to make one! I love yours, it came out great!!!!! And love that color!!!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

Sass - aka - Kathy said...

I love these scarves. And want to make one! Please come share at http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/04/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-18.html

Hello Jessica Lynn said...

Neat!!

I think this is my first visit to your blog, please stop by and say hello at my blog as well at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com and become a follower if you aren't one already.

Happy Thursday!! :0)