Saturday, March 24, 2012

About that groundhog.....

So....spring is here. It's amazing. We are about one month ahead of schedule here. The combination of a mild winter plus the warm temperatures we have had in the last two weeks have caused everything to explode with growth. I don't think I've ever seen so many flowering trees in bloom at one time. The only one I've noticed that has not gone into bloom are some of the crabapples. Almost all of my bulbs went into bloom at the same time. 


I usually like the plants to come on a little bit at a time....spread the wealth a bit, if you will. Not so much this year. Mother Nature is giving it up all at once. I prefer it when she plays hard-to-get a little, you know? 


Typically, my favorite months of the year are April and May.....this year, it may be March and April.


I walked around one day this week and took some pics of what was in bloom. Get ready for a show....first up, a little sand cherry.




Daffodils....my neighbor gave me some extra bulbs and this is one of them. I like the whitish outside with the darker ruffled center.




Pink hyacinths....




Grape hyacinths. I love the bright blue blooms on these and their unique shape.




Pansies....I bought these for my front door pots.




Pansies overwintered from last fall.




Love this white hyacinth. Reminds me of weddings!



Purple hyacinths....I love the coloration on these.





Ornamental pear.




Tulip tree. This tree was moved to a new spot in the landscape two years ago and struggled at first. It's doing much better now, thankfully.




The warm weather has thrown my wardrobe into a tailspin as well. More on that next week.
Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

Great pics! Sad that the blooms are falling off the trees after only about a week. If the plant gods can develop these flower variations, why can't they develop ways to keep the flowers on the trees longer?