Thursday, February 2, 2012

Good read: On the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

As I've mentioned, my sister, my mom and I all pass books around between the three of us. I love getting a new read from one of them...and typically they come with a review as well. : )

Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. I think one of the only detentions I received in school was because I was reading a novel during class. Yes, I was a nerd. Am still a nerd.

The latest is called Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It is written by Jamie Ford. Set in the 1980s, it tells the story of an older first-generation Chinese man who looks back on his childhood during World War II.



Henry, the main character, lives in Seattle and the novel starts out when an old hotel that is being renovated opens its basement. It is full of treasures of Japanese-Americans who stored their belongings there before being taken to interment camps. As the book progresses, it tells the story of Henry as an older man and also Henry as a boy. Key to the plot is the relationship Henry has with a young school friend, whose family is of Japanese descent.

I really enjoy historical fiction....I enjoy learning about the time period, as well as enjoying the story of the characters. Although I'm familiar with World War II, I didn't know much about how the war affected residents on the West Coast. Since Henry's family is Chinese, he experiences the war on the outside, being of a different ethnic group, but being relatively "fortunate" (as his family feels) to not be Japanese.

Plus, this book has a few MAJOR bombshell revelations at the end. I was so surprised!!!

Check it out....you won't be sorry. : )

1 comment:

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I love historical fiction too! Sounds like such a good book! Angie xo