Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The great iPod debacle

We got our first iPod by winning a raffle.  


No joke. This was about eight years ago. My husband--with his English/journalism background--subscribes to TIME magazine. Sidenote...I  got told by someone a while ago that since we read TIME,  I wouldn't enjoy humor like Forty Year-Old Virgin. Really?


But I digress. So, after we subscribed, I got a note in the mail saying I had won an iPod in a raffle. Keep in mind, this is about a year after the first iPod came out. I thought it was complete bull. I was skeptical at best. Never did I believe that an iPod would come through the mail.


But....then a little package came on the doorstep and there was our little iPod mini. It is crazy....compared to the iPods now, it is so heavy for its size!!! Well, we didn't have a computer that was sophisticated enough to run the iPod, so we upgraded to a new desktop computer and retired the computer that had put my husband through grad school.


And.....now, a few iPods later, we have come to a crossroads. You see, we have shared a library for quite some time now. Isn't that what nice, married couples do??? Share? Yeah, not so much anymore.


We didn't used to have so much stuff in there, but it's getting so large that it takes forever to check and uncheck all of the things I want to have loaded on my iPod from when he updated his. I started to do this on Saturday morning. I worked on it for about 25 minutes and gave up after I had gone through just the Gs.


Also, my dear husband had uploaded many of his CDs onto the iTunes library. Um, I really don't want Queensryche on my iPod. Have you ever heard any of their songs? They are so weird. No offense, of course, to any Queensryche fans out there.






This required a bit of online research. Home sharing? Transfer the library? I finally made the decision to back up the iTunes library on our external hard drive, which was purchased once our desktop went on the fritz and we nearly lost all of the stuff on our computer. Here is my little workspace.....with the hard drive in the middle of both computers. I chose this option because it would have the side benefit of backing up the iTunes in case of computer failure.




Here's my cup of joe......the cup is from Matt's Hamburgers, in South Minneapolis. If you're ever in the area, you must go. It's home of the Jucy Lucy. Fear the cheese! (this one's for you, Lauren!)


My mom and sister were just in MPLS this weekend and got me two more mugs. Score!

Once the iTunes library was backed up, I attached the hard drive to my laptop...it then went to town copying the files.


All that was left to do was to delete anything I didn't want! Then, I checked the songs I wanted to add to my iPod, hooked it up and declared victory. I'm not the most tech-savvy girl in the world.

I'm really glad I was able to do this, especially since I just bought the first season of Downton Abbey on iTunes and I wanted to make sure I could get it on my computer. Yee haw! You can read all about my Downton obsession here.

I guess I'm really a big girl....now that I have my own iTunes on my own computer for my very own iPod. : )

2 comments:

Thrifty Crafty Girl said...

There was a hit song a million years ago by Queensryche called 'Silent Lucidity'. I remember my sister liking it quite a bit...

I just made a playlist folder for myself, that way I don't have to listen to the hubby's crappy music. :)

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

Dearest Wife: How DARE you disparage the 'Ryche! "Operation Mindcrime" is a work of genius.

I guess we mock what we don't understand.