Friday, December 2, 2011

Good read: Moloka'i

I've been reading some good books lately....one of them is Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. Although  my reading tastes vary--everything from trashy romance novels to gardening books--I really enjoy historical fiction. I love learning about different times and places in history.

Moloka'i takes place in the early 20th century in Hawai'i. I had no idea that there was a leper colony in Hawai'i at that time. To be honest, I didn't know much about leprosy OR leper colonies. 


The book is the story of Rachel, a little girl who gets leprosy when she is a young girl, about seven years old. She is taken from her family to live at Moloka'i at the leper colony. The story is about her coming of age there and her life and womanhood. Although Rachel is a fictional character, many of the characters are based on real figures and many of the happenings are true to history. There were still residents of the leper colony living there recently. Rachel certainly lives an amazing life.

If you enjoy historical fiction, this is a great book to pick up!

2 comments:

Andie Jaye said...

sounds like a good book! i wish i had time to read :) i love your new header too!

Tulip and Turnip said...

I just finished it on Sunday night, with tears running down my cheeks! It took me on such a journey. I LOVED it!

Next up: South of Broad.