Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Door decor....holiday style

Christmas has arrived around here and most certainly at our house! I decided to change it up a bit this year with my front step pots.

Here was what I started with after removing the mums and pansies. I wanted to incorporate the ornamental cabbage that I had in the pots this fall. I've really loved pics I've seen in magazines of holiday decor with the ornamental cabbages and kales.



I wanted to add some red berries, greenery, pinecones and a bit of metallic. I used these sticks that I had leftover from pruning down a plant a few years ago....


Oh, and how could you forget lights?!? I saw these great lighted twigs at Target....but I'm on a brief hiatus of buying Christmas decor. So....I decided to make my own. I had two sets of these lights on hand.


The twigs got a coat of silver spray paint. I used white thread to wind around the twigs and attach them. I used three twigs for each strand of 35 lights.



Add in some pinecones and faux greenery.


I like the texture of the cabbages. I am hoping they last through the new year!


This is our Christmas wreath. I made it several years ago, using red berries and some thin grapevines twigs I got at the craft store. However, it wasn't bright enough....our old house had a front porch with a large overhang and you couldn't see the wreath. So, I decided to spray paint a papier mache letter from the craft store a metallic color and attach it to the wreath. I love the way it pops and the personalization of the wreath.


It was a pretty easy and cheap way to update a tired wreath! If you want to try it, but don't have an initial that lends itself to being tied by a ribbon, you could cut through the papier mache with an exacto knife and tie the ribbon through the letter.


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....: )


Party Time......
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Share Day at Just a Girl
Simply Creations Link Party at Simple Home Life
Addicts (not so) Anonymous Addicted to Decorating
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
Project Parade at The DIY Showoff
Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Tip-Toe Thru Tuesday at Crayon Freckles
Sunday Shake-up at Jacque's Soda Parlor
Fabulous Friday at Ohh Baby
Pinspirational Thursday at The Artsy Girl Connection
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Sunday Salvation at Sassafras Salvation
Tuesday Talent Show at Chef n Training
Flaunt Your Flowers  at Tootsie Time

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your porch! I'm into the twigs this year. That's great how you attached lights to them!

BluBabesCreate said...

Love that bright blue door! And so will the reindeer Prancer when he comes to your house.

Unknown said...

Super cute, I love the sticks in the pot!