Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Doll's House

My baby girl got a dollhouse for Christmas. She's going to be three next month and she has run a little low on toys in the girl department, seeing as she has an older brother.

So, when my dad found an small dollhouse at my parents' lake cabin, he dropped it off to me and thought it would be perfect for our girl. C and I spent a lot of time working on it in the last few weeks.

Without further ado......what it looked like at the start.


It was all unfinished wood, so we sanded it down well.


We started with a coat of white paint. First, we used spray paint and it gave it a pretty good base coat.....but it was a bit thin..... 



We used black spray paint on the roof and had to do a lot of touch up with a sample can of white paint from the hardware store. It also gave the white a more finished look and of course my six year-old loved to help with the painting!


A few other projects that we did.....we picked out a fat quarter at the fabric store and made curtains. They are attached using little velcro strips in case our girl wants to change them in the future.




I used the same fabric and a bit of batting to make a bed cushion. (the star fabric is my son's choice and insists on it being there)




I think this may have been a nativity at one point...there is a little nail in the front where you might hang a star and there is a light at the back. It makes it nice so you can see what you're doing. : )




And....we made a rug out of fabric and felt. Here you can see the finished doll house....




Also gifted to Sweetie was the dollhouse family from her brother.....too bad they don't have any furniture yet. Welcome to the real world, dolls.




Here you can see it without the light and the roof shows up better.




Our girl loves it! Next up is to get some furniture going....I may try my hand at making some. Special thanks to my mom and dad who thought of Annie when they found this. : )



Party Time......
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Share Day at Just a Girl
Simply Creations Link Party at Simple Home Life
Addicts (not so) Anonymous Addicted to Decorating
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
Project Parade at The DIY Showoff
Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Tip-Toe Thru Tuesday at Crayon Freckles
Sunday Shake-up at Jacque's Soda Parlor
Fabulous Friday at Ohh Baby
Pinspirational Thursday at The Artsy Girl Connection
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Sunday Salvation at Sassafras Salvation
Tuesday Talent Show at Chef n Training
Flaunt Your Flowers  at Tootsie Time
What I Wore/What's Up Wednesday at Rae Gun Ramblings

4 comments:

lo @ crazy ever after said...

What a labor of love that is. I LOVE sentimental gifts such as this. Something she will have forever, and can pass on to her kids someday (a loooong someday away of course). I had an older brother too. I played with a lot of the Masters of the Universe toys. Ha!

Amber said...

This is adorable! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment! I really appreciate it! I hope you have a great day!

Jackie said...

What a wonderful gift for a little girl. I love what you did to remake the doll house. :)

Unknown said...

This is fabulous! Sounds like the three of you had fun getting it all ready for your little girl. It's just perfect for a 'starter' home, heehee. ;) *wink*