Friday, August 26, 2011

Summer Tour: West Michigan

Back to school this week. I must say, my feet sure have enjoyed those flip-flops this summer. They are saying "h%&* to the no" to my fancy school shoes!


Since my husband and I have been teaching for the last 12 years, we've had a lot of time in the summer to travel. Once upon a time, we traveled five countries in Europe in three weeks. Now with two kids, our trips are shorter and definitely more kid-friendly.

One stop on our tour this summer was West Michigan. One of my husband's grad school buddies has a family house on Lake Michigan in a small town called Pentwater. With a private beach! It is one of our favorite places to visit and since his friend was married, we have really enjoyed spending time with him and his wife. They recently had a baby this summer--she was just six weeks old and too cute.

                                                              Our Sweetie, playing on the beach

We also were in attendance at the Western Michigan Fair. Much fun was had by all. The people watching was unbelievable. And we saw the Demolition Derby!


I snapped some photos around the town, especially of some beautiful houses and gardens. Here is a pic of the harbor in Pentwater.



Here is a shot of a plant grouping at a really pretty garden I saw. I love this combo of balloon flower, coleus and zinnias....probably was also pretty when the iris was in bloom.


I was really digging this plant pot combination....King Tut grass with a maroon/lime coleus and petunias--the pink ones with the maroon centers and lime edges.


Generally, I'm not too crazy about water features, but I really liked the simplicity of this fountain!


I was in love with this fence and the loooooong hedge of hydrangeas. GORGEOUS.



This could be my dream house. LOVE. Situated on the channel out to Lake Michigan in Pentwater.


This house was so pretty, too.


Well-kept, pretty house and meticulous gardens!


If anyone needs me, I'll be soaking my feet and reminiscing about being Up North on Lake Michigan....

Linking to.....
Flaunt Your Flowers at Tootsie Time

3 comments:

Jen @ Domesticated Nomad said...

Looks like a good time. I love Lake Michigan. :)

I have awarded you the Versatile Blogger: http://domesticatednomad.blogspot.com/2011/08/versitile-blogger-and-big-announcement.html

Honey at 2805 said...

Looks like you had a wonderful vacation! You have a beautiful family!

So happy to hear that you plan to join the first Potpourri Party next Friday!

Tootsie said...

I have enjoyed my visit today...good post!
I wish I had more time to visit all of my favorites everytime you all post!
Thank you so much for linking in and sharing your post with my party today! Have a wonderful day!!!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.