Friday, August 5, 2011

Cheesy French Bread

I recently made an oldie-but-a-goodie recipe. We have a monthly recipe club for the ladies here in my neighborhood. I occasionally get snickers from people when I tell them that we have one, but really, it's just an excuse for the women to share food, drink and talk. The host picks a theme, provides the drinks and you bring a dish.

You can't beat that, right? I mean, the guys have poker and I think recipe club is better. There's no thinking or strategy involved. Or loss of money.

But I digress. The theme was wide open--just plain old potluck. I pulled out an old recipe of my mom's, which I had not made in years. The recipe note of old had no name, so I call it Cheesy French Bread.

1 loaf French bread, cut lengthwise and in half
1c mayo
2c grated cheddar cheese
2-3 scallions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Mix all ingredients and spread on bread. Bake at 350 on cookie sheet 15-20 minutes or until bread starts to brown slightly and bubble.
I made one loaf with scallions and one without (I am not an onion person). I do suspect you could use chopped onions and it would be just as tasty--if you happened to be an onion person. It is a very easy dish to make and definitely fits into the "five ingredients or less" category, which is one of my favorites. I will warn--it is a bit greasy. I think you could cut down on the grease factor a bit by using low-fat mayo or perhaps low-fat cheese. But I myself am not opposed to greasy, cheesy goodness on occasion.








I brought home the leftovers and my husband said, "Why have you not made this before?"

So, I suppose it will end up in the rotation!






The DIY Show Off

BLOG TITLE




3 comments:

Tulip and Turnip said...

Oh, man. Just looking at that photo added pounds to my hips. Yum!

Dana from Our Life's Legacy said...

This looks delish! You could put cheese on dirt and I'd love it. haha

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Yum! :) Love all the cheese. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. Hope to see you there. {I’m a new follower, too.} Cute blog!

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com