Monday, January 24, 2011

Paint sample tryout

Last week on our second snow day, Charlie and I painted the hall bathroom upstairs. I am trying to make a dent in our "all off-white with a peach" undertone house. I do appreciate that it was neutral when we bought this house, but it does give me the feeling that I might be living in a mental institution.

I think we've come a long way with color in the years since Freddie and I have married. In our condo, everything was painted a warm beige.  It was an improvement over builder paint white. Quote from that era, "Why can't we have just white walls?"  See above.

In our last house, I used much more color. I also took my painting skills to the next level, since I painted the whole condo and 90% of our old house.  The only room unpainted was the laundry room....I had a color picked out, but then we moved.

So, that brings us to our current residence. I like to try to get the downstairs finished first, then take my time with the upstairs. I will soon share pics of our bathroom, but in the meantime, I tried out these new paint samples from Home Depot. I can't post a pic of the actual container....since I can't find the digital camera right now! 

These are the samples on the wall:



As you can see, I am thinking of lighter grey on top of the chair rail with a darker grey on the bottom...and might add a stencil from this site: http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/
My one reservation is that the grey and the dark wood furniture go together....?

Do you ever get that feeling, while painting, of, "Maybe this color isn't going to turn out how I wanted....?" I think these samples help a lot with this problem! For a serious project, buying a quart of paint is not a bad idea....but I am not about to buy a quart plus a whole gallon to paint the bathroom!

1 comment:

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

I think my liking of white walls comes from a deep-seated desire of my childhood for light. Hated the dark ... and this happens especially when you have an older sister who torments you by saying she's a vampire.